vendredi 13 avril 2007

Optic nerve

Lately, I found out about a comic book from the 90's : it's called "Optic Nerve", by Adrian Tomine. It's really cool stuff, and I highly recommend it - if you can't find it at a store near you, you should try and purchase it on the internet, it's really worth it.
Anyway.
That made want to tell about the tiny little things that usually go unnoticed and untold, the small stuff of everyday life, for better and for worse. I'm sorry that I have to do it in english - it just feels better that way, makes more sense I guess.
The thing is, what I'd really like to do is draw a comic book of my own. I guess I could try, since I'm not such a bad drawer (but not as good as to call myself an artist, though). But there are some technical difficulties that make it practically impossible - for instance, I don'thave a scan machine, so even though I know how to draw, it's useless. I'll have to figure out another way. In the meantime, I'll just write about that stuff, and you'll have to use your imagination to fill in the blank frames.

So, here's my first story of the untold :
I was on the subway, coming back from a hard day's work at the office. I was standing in front of the door, facing it. The train was pretty crowded, and I was reading the paper. The train arrived at a station, and I coul feel people in my back, ready to get off and anxious for me to move out of the way - which is something I really hate, by the way - the way people assume that you're not gonna move, that you're a complete dork.
So here's this guy, saying "Sorry", like he wants to get off, and I nod, to let him know that I'll move away, and a girl standing next to me taps my arm and says "He wants to get off", and I go like "Uh-uh, I know". When the door opens, I step out, and the guy gets out, and then I get back on the train. But what I should have said to this girl was "I heard the guy, alright ?". I should have said it out loud. I'm really sad I didn't think of it then.
That's it.
(Really tiny stuff, I told you.)